[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise measurements

Christophe Huygens christophe.huygens at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Mar 25 13:34:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am continuing my phase noise measurement quest. I gathered
equipment (HP 8662a/11729C/8568B/multipliers) to measure
100Hz+ from the carrier. I now need to get a grip on the
0.1-100Hz range, which is where most of my applications are.

What is the suggested measurement methodology for this range?

My first idea would be to squeeze out the most of the above
equipment...maybe add a dynamic signal analyzer like the
35660/3561/3562? What is a good HP LF analyzer?
This combined with multiplication (to 1GHz) and EFC
locking, could take care of the 1-100HZ range?
Anythings else needed?
No ideas for  0.1-1... maybe by counting with the 5370B?

I am sure this has been answered before but the archives are
difficult to search...

Thanks for any hints,
Christophe