[time-nuts] anyone built a replacement antenna for a Spectracom 8170?

Scott Burris slburris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to trying to get a Spectracom 8170 WWVB
receiver doing something useful.
Unfortunately, I only have the unit, not the antenna/preamp.

Anyone built a replacement antenna for this?  Could this be made to work with
a commercial ferrite core antenna, maybe something like

http://www.c-max-time.com/products/showProduct.php?id=18

with a little preamp circuit of some sort run off the 12v supplied by the 8170?

If someone has already built something like this and could point me to
a schematic, that would be much appreciated.  Otherwise I guess I'll roll
something of my own.

Thanks.

Scott