[time-nuts] Buffering the 1pps output from a Z3801A

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Mar 26 20:49:30 EDT 2008

The Thunderbolt's output impedance on the PPS output is much less than 50
ohms, more like 5 ohms.

If you terminate the other end of the cable with a good 50 ohms termination,
you will be OK, even though it would be better to put a ~47 ohms series
resistor right at the TB output before driving the cable. This will reduce
the available amplitude, but will reduce ringing even more.

Check this page:

http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/CoaxCableMatching.html

I used the PPS output of the Thunderbolt as a fast rise time pulse generator
for cable matching/reflections experiments.

It will show you what to expect when you use that output to drive a long
cable.

Didier KO4BB