[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 31 05:22:43 EDT 2008

From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Close-in phase noise measurements
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:05:50 -0700

> The relationship between phase noise and Allan variance is
> a complex one and was described in papers at FCS in 1976
> and 1978 by my previous manager Mike Fischer (then of HP).
> I think these papers come closest to answering your question.

Add to that the added complexity that you would like to have a window function
before you DFT/FFT. Turning a FFT into Allan deviation or the reverse is among
the lost causes. Also, there is only a small overlap of interest mostly, so I
think they are best handled separatly, except when analysing spikes in the
Allan deviation.

Cheers,
Magnus