[time-nuts] HP 5370B

Henk ten Pierick henk at deriesp.demon.nl
Sat May 10 12:30:38 EDT 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 15:07, Didier Juges wrote:

> Sorry if my answer was confusing. I did not mean to imply that the
> 5370 was
> 3 orders of magnitude more accurate than the 5335, simply that it
> attempts
> to display data with 3 orders of magnitude greater resolution (3
> orders of
> magnitude more precise). The 5370 spec indicates 20 pS accuracy in
> single-shot TI measurements, while it displays the data with 1 pS
> resolution. In that mode, even with ideal signals coming in, there is
> significant jitter on the displayed value.
>
> That's a good illustration of the difference between precision and
> accuracy.

In my view precision and accuracy have the same meaning and here is a
mix up between accuracy and resolution.
The 5370 has a resolution of 1ps but the accuracy is much lower. Say
the 20ps stated above.
Thus, in my view,  there is no difference between precision and
accuracy, but between accuracy and resolution there is.

Henk