[time-nuts] HP 5370B

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat May 10 12:40:52 EDT 2008

Henk ten Pierick said the following on 05/10/2008 12:30 PM:

> In my view precision and accuracy have the same meaning and here is a
> mix up between accuracy and resolution.
> The 5370 has a resolution of 1ps but the accuracy is much lower. Say
> the 20ps stated above.
> Thus, in my view,  there is no difference between precision and
> accuracy, but between accuracy and resolution there is.

There's a confusing set of definitions between accuracy, resolution, and
precision.

The 5370 makes it even more complicated because its actual resolution is
20ps (single shot) while the display can look more like 1 ps (if you
plot the data you'll see discrete 20ps granularity).  From the
experiments I've done, after you factor in trigger error and other
uncertainties, the 5370 usable accuracy is about 60ps single shot.

John