[time-nuts] HP 5370B

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat May 10 22:14:09 EDT 2008

At 09:40 PM 5/10/2008, Didier Juges wrote...
>In my real world ... there is no allowance for measurement or
>calibration uncertainty except in some very unusual circumstances. The
>customer reviews and approves the test procedure and acceptance
>criteria...

If the example you gave followed those rules, then there would have
been no need to mention the 1 dB accuracy of microwave network
analyzers.

Even by the rules you now introduce, if the analyzer measures 2.01 and
the spec says 2 max, there's a problem, but still you argue with your
customer that 2.01 is as good as 1.99. If the criteria are agreed upon
and that criteria says there is to be a maximum measurement of 2, why
do you argue?

It makes as much sense as bringing an example where measurement
uncertainty is ignored into a discussion of accuracy, precision and
resolution.