[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt EOL

phil fortime at bellsouth.net
Mon May 19 04:59:45 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <d.seiter at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts at febo.com>; <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt EOL

> While the mini-T is obviously not the same, the -E version many be nothing
> more than a RoHS compliant version of the original.  I've seen many
> changes to devices/assemblies in the past year or two, but when the smoke
> clears it's nothing but a RoHS-related change.  In fact, in many cases,
> there is no actual change in the device at all. It was always compliant
> but marketing wanted a *RoHS* part number.
>
> It's been driving me crazy...
>
> -Dave
> From: "Richard W. Solomon" <w1ksz at earthlink.net>
>> It seems the T-Bolt is being replaced with a newer version. I wonder
>> which ones we will be getting ??
>>
>> http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-383748/TBolt%20EOL.pdf
>>

>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Dave,
They are getting the old version. Among the older units the only difference
is firmware revisions. They are getting the "board only" version  that
requires +12, -12 +5 volts, not the 24 volt version you see on the larger
Trimble photo of the complete unit.

Apparently the "E" is an altogether different unit. Notice the antenna
connection is lower than the other connectors. I would bet the newer unit
has a stand-alone receiver in it. Also note it receives 12 satellites
compared to 8 on the older version. Most other specs are about the same,
performance wise.

The old units have the receiver/timebase and associated electronics on a
single board, all the coax terminals are in a line.  The lower half of the
unit in the Trimble photo has a 24 volt DC to +12, -12, +5 volt converter.

The "group" purchased the older version of the "board only" in a separate
smaller case. It requires +12, -12 +5 volt of which they have located a
separate power supply for.

Trimble Thunderbolt ET GPS Discipline Clock Performance Specifications

General: L1 frequency, CA/code (SPS) 12-channel continuous tracking receiver
Update rate: 1 Hz
1 PPS accuracy UTC 20 nanoseconds (one sigma)
10 MHz accuracy 1.16 x 10 -12 one average)
10 MHz stability See graph on Trimble data sheet
Harmonic level -40 dBc max
Spurious -70 dBc max
Phase noise: 10 Hz -120 dBc/Hz
100 Hz -135 dBc/Hz
1 kHz -135 dBc/Hz
10 kHz -145 dBc/Hz
100 kHz -145 dBc/Hz
Holdover ±1 microsecond over 2 hours with a maximum ±15°C temperature change
Trimble Thunderbolt OLD Version

Performance Specifications:
General:   L1 frequency, CA/ code (SPS), 8-channel, continuous tracking
receiver
Update rate:   1 Hz
PPS accuracy:   UTC 20 nanoseconds (one sigma)
10 MHz accuracy:   1.16 x 10E-12 (one day average)
Interface Specifications:
Prime Power:   +24V and return using DC to DC power supply (19V-34V)
  Board uses +12V, -12V, +5V and GND
  Power consumption 15 watts (cold), 10 watts steady state
Serial Interface:   RS-232 through a DB-9 connector
Serial protocoll:   Trimble Standard Interface Protocol (TSIP) binary
protocol
  at 9600, 8-None-1

Newer "E" Version Data Sheet:
http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-383329/022542-010B_Thunderbolt-E_DS_0807.pdf