[time-nuts] Do any regulations or laws require time to be within ?x? seconds?

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Thu Nov 6 17:49:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Gretchen Baxter
<gretchendenisebaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of regulations that mandate synchronized time.

> But do any of these regulations or laws require time to be accurate

> within 'x' seconds?  Such as, 'time much be synchronized within 5

> seconds of GPS time.

Financial services industries (FSI) operate under very strict rules on the
order that trades execute and on the currency (ha ha!) of price quotations.
See Rule 601 and 610.  (Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RegNMS )

I know of at least one company that has asked for better than what a typical
x86 server + ntp will do.

- ch