[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Nov 7 06:06:26 UTC 2008

>>> Don't forget too, that solar noon varies quite a bit (minutes) from
>>> "mean solar time" over the year.  If you're navigating your ship with
>>> noon sun sights, this is pretty important.
>>
>>What do I google for if I want that correction?
>
> This is known as the Equation of Time.

I noticed that Physics Today this month has an article:

<On ships, trains, and the equation of time>
http://link.aip.org/link/PHTOAD/v61/i11/p76/s1/pdf
http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_61/iss_11/76_1.shtml

For equation-of-time-nuts, the article references this wonderful 49-page paper:

<The Analemma for Latitudinally-Challenged People>
http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/projects/tsy.pdf

/tvb