[time-nuts] Using GPS for space-based instrument

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Nov 10 22:51:40 UTC 2008

Hi Karl:

Tom Clark may be the person who can answer that question.

I seem to remember that the very first GPS satellites had antennas only aimed
at the Earth, but because many satellites now use GPS for a number of functions
they also radiate some signal away from the Earth.

In addition there's the question of getting a license for a military grade GPS
receiver.  Note that civilian grade GPS receivers have limits on elevation,
speed, acceleration and jerk which prevents them working in military aircraft,
missiles and space environments.  It may be that the your satellite already has
a GPS receiver for some other purpose so that you only need access to the 1 PPS
or 10 MHz output?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com