[time-nuts] Fine delay generator

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 12 21:02:14 UTC 2008

pablo alvarez wrote:
> Dear nuts,
>
> I am designing a card that should be able to delay a trigger from 25ns
> up to several seconds in 10ps steps. The card will use an external
> 10MHz as frequency reference.
>
> I have thought of two architectures. One is a counter clocked by a
> keyed oscillator followed by a fine delay and the other is based on a
> Time interval meter (TIM), a  counter clocked by a TCXO followed by a
> fine delay. Let me just explain a bit more about both options.
>
>  1. Keyed oscillator Counter + fine delay. The keyed oscillator starts
> oscillating phase allinged to the input trigger and frequency locked
> to the external 10MHz.   This is a beautiful scheme, but sofar I have
> not found any comercial keyed oscillator or startable oscillator. Do
> you know of a design that could do the job? Keeping an stable
> oscillator phase and the frequency locked to an external reference at
> the same time is not an easy job.  An example of module that does it
> is the V850 by highland:
> http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/V850DS.html
>
> The fine delay can be implemented with a digital delay line such as
> ON's MC100EP196B or Micrel's SY89297U.
> http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC100EP196B-D.PDF
> http://www.micrel.com/page.do?page=/product-info/products/sy89297u.jsp
>
> A bad point is that the time interval between trigger's cannot be
> smaller than the generated delay.
> A very nice feature is that its monotonicity is garanteed by design.
>
>  2. Time interval meter + TCXO Counter + fine delay
> In this scheme I measure the trigger phase respect to the internal
> TCXO and calculate the corresponding fine delay that I have to add to
> the counter ouput. I expect the time interval measurement latency to
> be of the order of 200ns-300ns, so for small delays it would be
> necessary to use a separeted fine delay and multiplex the outputs.
> Locking the TCXO to the external 10MHz should not be a problem.
>
> For the TIM I could use a ACAM's TDC-GPX which offers 10ps resolution.
> http://www.acam-usa.com/Content/English/gpx/gpx_1.html
>
> As an analogue option I was thinking of latching the input trigger
> with a flip-flop, low pass filter it and sample it with a high speed
> ADC such as the  AD9626. The TIM could be callibrated at the startup,
> but I do not have a feeling of how stable it can be.

I presume you mean low pass filtering the pulse train whose width is
equal to the input to output delay of a synchroniser.
The dc level depends on the trigger frequency as well as the
synchroniser delay.
> http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/ad-converters/AD9626/products/product.html
>
> Generating the small fine delays from 25ns up to 300ns is perhaps the
> most diffucult one IMHO. I am not very sure if the classical scheme of
> integrator followed by a comparator can generate delays of up to 300ns
> with low jitter.  On the other hand chaining 24 MC100EP196B to
> generate a 300ns delay seems a bit scary too...
>

> Thanks in advance for your comments
>
> Cheers
>
> Pablo

Pablo

1) The HP5359A (and the 5370A/B) used a phase locked startable oscillator.
The classic gated oscillator uses a delay line to determine the
oscillator frequency.
These are commercially available or you can build your own using an
inverting gate and a length of coax or other delay line for higher
performance.

2) The ACAM TDC-GPX has linearity errors much larger than 10ps for short
time intervals (< 120ns).
However if the time interval can be guaranteed to exceed some minimum
(120ns) an integral non linearity of around 10ps is possible.
For longer time intervals the measurement jitter will be significant at
the 10ps level.
The ACAM TDC-GPX has an internal delay locked loop option that allows
the internal delay step size to be locked to an external reference
frequency.

Another delay technique is to use a tapped chain of gates in an FPGA can
be used to implement a fine delay.
A DLL can be used to stabilise the delays.

Another option is to use a pair of ADCs to simultaneously sample a
quadrature pair of 10MHz sinewaves.
Together with a dual phase synchroniser to sample a counter clocked at
10MHz, a resolution on the order of 10ps or so is possible with a range
limited by the counter length.
An LTC1407A-1 dual simultaneous sampling ADC allows sample rates up to
1.5MHz with adequate linearity if driven differentially.
However an inverse tangent calculation is required for each measurement
- this could easily be done in an FPGA within a few tens of nanosec.

To avoid using a fine delay with a large range using a higher frequency
(eg 40MHz or higher) local clock phase locked to 10MHz will reduce the
required fine delay range significantly.

Bruce