[time-nuts] More HP 5062C cesium beam debugging questions

Tim Schulz technoid_tim at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 07:16:51 UTC 2008

Greetings everyone; I am back on the task of try to figure out what is
wrong with my 5062C.  Many thanks to Corby for the power supply scans
and debugging tips so far.  The 18v power supply card seems fine, it is
not being enabled by the ion pump power supply.  As far as I can tell,
the ion pump PS is not operating, it is not putting out any HV.  I did
manage to buy a 5062C carcass minus the cesium beam tube off ebay and
swapping the ion pump ps didn't change anything.  Some of the readings
on the status monitor are zeroed out - #4, ion pump, #5, 5mhz, #7 Cs
oven, #9, beam1, #10, 2nd harmonic, and #11, control.  #6, osc oven, is
2x the normal reading.  I am just turning the machine on and checking
things - should I be waiting the 15+ minutes for things to warm up
before attempting debugging?  Also, considering the age, last serviced
in '97, is it likely that the Cs tube is shot?  I have found a possible
local source for a 5061 service manual, is there any chance that it
would be of any use with the 5062?  Thanks in advance...  tim