[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt temperature judgment call

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Nov 19 19:21:30 UTC 2008

I think "isolation" may work better than "insulation". The latter
attenuates external temperature variations from getting in but
at the same time also necessarily restricts heat flow going out.
The result is gradual overheating.

You might first want to determine just how temperature sensitive
your TBolt is or isn't. Also see if the response is quite different
between rapid and slow temperature changes.

It's possible that just putting it inside a air sealed metal box would
do the trick. And the thicker the metal the better (thermal mass).

Note that unlike a standalone OCXO, most GPSDO are less
sensitive to temperature changes. This is because they are a
closed system -- drift due to gradual changes in temperature are
simply swept away by the OCXO-GPS servo loop. It's the short
mechanical shock or temperature spikes that cause trouble, not
any slow smooth gradual environmental change.

Take all this with a grain of salt because I've not done tempco
work on the TBolt yet. If anyone else has data, now would be
a good time to give a report.

Thanks,
/tvb