[time-nuts] TBolt in the house!

Richard Moore richiem at hughes.net
Fri Nov 21 06:19:21 UTC 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:36:48 -0800
> From: Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] TBolt in the house!
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
> Hi Dick:
>
> Did you set the COM port number?
> Right click with the cursor on the window.
> http://www.prc68.com/I/ThunderBolt.shtml#TBM

Yep, Brooke, I did. My ATEN 232>USB adapter looks like Com Port 6 to
my windows box, which regularly thinks that it is a Microsoft Ball
Point, whatever that is and it's a real pain to straighten that out.
I'd like to get rid of the MS Ball Point driver completely if I could
find it; any help with that appreciated.

> Richard Moore wrote:
>> Hi, nuts -- I just got my TBolt from h-whole-bunch-of-b's-bob in
>> China. He nicely gave me the time-nuts discount, and also included a
>> power connector with pigtail leads. Including shipping, it was $175
>> and it took 7 days to get here in W. Wash. You can find him and these
>> units on eBay at:  http://stores.ebay.com/High-precision-Osc-from-
>> China
>>
>> It's date code is 3/19/05.
>> The App Ver is 3.00  6/27/2.
>> GPS Core is 10.02  11/14/1.
>> ID is 96.
>> s/n is 82331036  3/7/5.
>>
>> It's up and running in a top-of-bench way, and I have a few Qs:
>> 1)  What are good params to use for the loop to get best frequency
>> acc'y and stability?
>> 2)  Is there a firmware upgrade you recommend?
>> 3)  What V/Hz figure do you all recommend? It's at what must be a
>> default of -5...
>> 4)  DAC voltage is +0.0633...  Is this a fairly normal value?
>> 5)  I downloaded Tboltmon v. 2.60 and it works great with my 232>USB
>> adapter, but DSPMon does not see the data at all -- no TX or RX. Does
>> it not work with this vintage/version of TBolt?
>> ------------------------------

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:44:49 -0800
> From: "John Miles" <jmiles at pop.net>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] TBolt in the house!
> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
> Unless you are going to use a different OCXO, there is nothing to
> do except
> perhaps tell it to save the self-survey results and set your
> "foilage mode"
> if desired.  They are plug and play.
>
> -5 V/Hz is the correct kvco parameter; any changes will either
> degrade the
> phase margin and give you a "hump" in your loop response, or
> lengthen the
> loop response.  And it wouldn't be advisable to alter the loop-time
> and
> damping parameters without taking a series of ADEV plots under
> various GPS
> reception conditions to make sure you're actually improving things.

John, thanks for the feedback. I'll leave the V/Hz alone, Any advice
on loop time constant and damping?