[time-nuts] M12+T more confusion

Norman J McSweyn normn3ykf at stny.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 23:32:42 UTC 2008

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Gentlemen:
>> Why would the M12+T swap the order of messages?
>>
>> I write @@Hn and @@Eq in that order to the board and it gives it back to
>>  me in reverse order.
>
> What parameter(s) are you passing the @@Hn and @@Eq
> and how quickly are you sending them? Page 31 talks about
> this.
Tom,
Each message is written so as to get the board to output once per second.

The program is structured such that it writes once, then drops down and
loops , reading the buffer (I've disabled the termination character)
when XX bytes have accumulated.

>> Tried @@Cf then resending the messages. Still the same. Then did it AND
>> swapped the order of the messages. Still the same.
>
> You are enabling output messages, right? Sounds like the
> order in which you individually *enable* one or more messages
> is unrelated to the order in which, once a second(*), all selected
> messages are *output*. I've never confirmed if they are output
> alphabetically or by size or priority or what. Does someone know
> for sure? Or does it matter?
I'm suspecting this is the case. Need to power off the board to confirm
that there's nothing being stored
Just did that. Then reset the board with @@Cf. Then wrote @@Hn and @@Ha
to the board in that order.
Came back @@Ha then @@ Hn.
If I use @@Hn and @@Eq (ascii position/time message) the same behaviour
exists.

>> The manual says it's first in, first out regarding the serial buffer.
>
> Right, but the commands you are sending are merely enabling
> commands. Send as many as you want in any order. You don't
> see responses until the top of the next second. Just a guess,
> though, since my M12+T is not available to confirm this.

I've played with an 8051. Do know a little about micros. Love trying to
guess what's going on inside the little black box.