[time-nuts] The Trimble NTPX26AB-06 / Z3801A

Roy Phillips phill.r1 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 22 11:29:03 UTC 2008

Hal
Thanks for your kind help. You are certainly right about the PECL level
signals from the I/O connector, but this is where the similarity stops, as
the Trimble unit is to all intents a substitute for the Z3801A, but
internally its quite different. In the interests of costs, it would seem
that there is no RS-232 facility. There is a sub PCB that carries the LED's
at the front of the unit via a connector, and there is a location on this
PCB for a for a 9-pin D connector!.  If this had been used it would have
made a serial port available at the front panel. More interesting is that
there are tracks feeding what would have been pins 2,3 and 5 !
Perhaps there was an intention in the original specification to provide a
"service" serial port to the front of the unit - but would this have
provided RS-422 and not RS-232 signals ? Unfortunately, Trimble will not
offer any information on this unit, as it was made for Nortel, and I have so
far not been able to find any alternative information except for a brief
reference in the Z3801A article.

Roy