[time-nuts] GPSDO using 100Hz

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 13:59:08 UTC 2008

Ernie

I do have to agree that the James Miller unit is about as simple as you can get. His BIG advantages is the use of 10KHz to lock on.
If the want to use the Jupiter GPS board, Miller's circuit is the way to go for SIMPLE.
Bob Q has the same basic circuit configuration running off the 100Hz signal. It is listed in  "June 08. "[time-nuts] Simple GPS 10 MHz frequency standard"
Bob's circuit has a lot more bills and whistles than Millers to tell when it is locked etc, but the extra bills he added does not effect the performance, for the most part, once it is locked. All else being equal the 100Hz XOR is not going to be as good as the 10KHz, although with about 100 times more care in the analog circuits to control noise, which Bob's seems to have, and with the right RC's they could be pretty similar performance.

What I am doing is somewhat different in that I wanted mine to work with my 100 Hz Oncore receiver and I do not use a XOR phase detector because of its very low phase low gain at 100 Hz.

Thanks for the response,
Warren