[time-nuts] huntron tracker advice & troubleshooting without schematic advise

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Wed Nov 26 10:01:38 UTC 2008

Hi Patrick,

I saw a lot of replies to your question. Here are my five cents:

The Huntron Tracker is very nice if you have two similar pieces of
equipment (or circuit boards). From which: one is faulty, the other one
still okay, or has a different fault. By probing around you can easily
find the faulty part or component, by looking for differences in the
Huntrons display. E.g. a faulty transitor will give a different curve,
even when other circuitry is connected to it.

However, I used to work at an small repair shop. Here we also got lots
of equipment for which the schematics were not available (usually it was
classified or obsolete). Although we had access to a Huntron Tracker, we
didn't use it much. Most of the time, a multimeter and some "common
sense" did the trick.

One final remark, about the reply from Bruce; There are oscilloscopes
out there who have the component tester (that is what he reffered to)
built in. My first oscilloscope I bought, a Handykit, has the
component-tester built-in. For that reason that scope is still with me ;-)

Good luck, best regards, Jeroen