[time-nuts] 10 MHz over optical fiber?

Scott Mace smace at intt.net
Thu Nov 27 03:44:12 UTC 2008

 From the corning leaf spec:

Environmental Test Induced Attenuation
Condition (dB/km)
1550 nm /1625 nm
Temperature Dependence
-60°C to +85°C* ? 0.05
Temperature – Humidity Cycling
-10°C to +85°C* and up to
98% RH ? 0.05
Water Immersion, +23°C ? 0.05
Heat Aging, +85°C* ? 0.05
*Reference Temperature = +23°C
Operating Temperature Range: -60°C to +85°

I just checked the daily variation of optical loss, and it seems to be about +-0.15dB
over a 90km DWDM system that operates in the NY,NJ metro area.  It's slightly larger
from summer to winter.  Clearly measuring delay through a loop would be a more accurate
metric, but this should give you a ballpark of real-world environmental influence.  All
of the electronics are in cooled rooms (typical CO or datacenter), all the fiber was
buried and in building risers.

And don't forget about back-hoe induced phase shifts.

	Scott