[time-nuts] huntron tracker advice & troubleshooting without schematic advise

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Thu Nov 27 12:15:22 UTC 2008

Hi Magnus,

I totally agree with you. But doing a quick repair is more an art than a
science ;-) By having some feeling for common faults it is easier to
locate them.

The Huntron tracker was of use for equipment which was almost impossible
to service when under power. For example power-electronics with high
voltages and nice little radios which consisted of a stack of boards,
here it was impossible to probe around. The only solution was soldeing a
wire to a component, assemble the whole thing, switch on measure... for
testing another point, the whole procedure had to be repeated. Ok, for
some equipment we used extension cables, but it was not always possible
to use them.

Some failures are very difficult to track: Firmware related problems.
The only solution to that, was finding a working unit and copy the
firmware to the faulty machine (e.g. EEPROM copying)....

But as I indicated in the beginning: Repairing is more like an art than
a science. Over the years a whole bunch of tricks and strategies was
developed to locate the faults and fix them. Repairing needs a solid
background in electronics and a lot of experience.

But: When you manage to repair something, it usually gives a lot of
satisfaction! ;-)

Best regards, Jeroen