[time-nuts] any way to bootstrap a frequency standard into a voltage or resistance standard?

Scott Burris slburris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 05:17:40 UTC 2008

Now that many of us have a nice 10Mhz reference courtesy of TAPR,
I was wondering if there was any way to use that to build a precise
voltage or resistance standard?

I've got once of those high precision standard resistors with a sticker
on it noting the actual measured resistance.  Is it still accurate?  Who
knows?

As well, I have a +5v reference that uses an Analog Devices precision
reference chip as its source.  I have more faith that this reference is
correct within the tolerances specified in the datasheet.

Now if I could somehow take that frequency reference and derive a
voltage standard or the like, I'd be in business.  But I can't think
of a way that wouldn't require calibration of some sort, and if I had
the means to calibrate, I wouldn't need the standard in the first place.

Any voltage-nuts or resistance-nuts out there?

Scott