[time-nuts] any way to bootstrap a frequency standard, into a, voltage or resistance standard?

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 29 05:18:39 UTC 2008

Bill,

I agree with the comments made by you and everyone else.  That's why I said "..if it's good enough..".  But there's one thing that kind of slid by everyone.  All the other suggestions conclude with some variation of "..needs to be calibrated..".  Is there any other way to get a NIST-traceable voltage into your shop for $35?  (I'm not challenging you, I'd really like to know if there is another alternative)  Granted, it's only at the 10 uv level, but for many applications that *is* good enough.

Let's be honest, as time-nuts we're spoiled rotten.  Almost all of us have got rubidium standards at 10E-11 per day or better and at a ridiculously low price.  Many have got cesium standards and a few have got hydrogen masers.  We can calibrate them against GPS or Loran-C to obsessive-compulsive levels.  So far, none of the other physical standards allow that level of independence for hobbyists.  So when dealing with other measurement units (e.g. volts, ohms, etc) we either have to ease the requirements by orders of magnitude or increase the budget by orders of magnitude!

If you're doing this as part of your job and can justify the need and the expense - great!  I'm a hobbyist and I won't be spending $1843 any time soon to have NIST calibrate a DC solid-state voltage reference.  For my needs Geller Labs provides good value for the very nominal cost.

And just to be clear, I have no relationship with Geller Labs.

Ed