[time-nuts] VRefs - I'm a bigger Voltnut than a timenut..

Dr. Frank Stellmach drfrank.stellmach at freenet.de
Sun Nov 30 17:29:05 UTC 2008

@Bill Ezell:

Well, I have the same motivation to invest time and money into "precision".

I started with metrology working in a German Airforce cal lab  in 1980.
We had all that goddie equipment, ie. a bank of Weston standard cells,
the Fluke cal system, DCF receiver, a HP caesium standard, and so on.
This cal lab was tightly associated with our PTB.
In a "secret" lab they obviously made some tests on the new Josephson
junction standard, as they transferred the Volt from this lab to our
facility with a Fluke 731A, and they were very proud of that.

 From then on, the ppm quest never let me go.
It's biggest fun for me to design standards on my own, not only to
collect and repair old ones.

I've already read about the Datron standards, but didn't know details,
and that it's so sophisticated. It's inner principle of dividing the
reference is identical to the Fluke 5720A, I think.

Do you have a detailed schematic of the LTZ reference circuitry in the
Datron?
This cannot be found in the manuals of HP3458 or Fluke 7000.

In Germany there is no big chance for getting surplus standards for a
reasonable price.
It's a pity..

Frank