[time-nuts] Voltage standards

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sun Nov 30 21:16:20 UTC 2008

Group,

The subject elicited a fine hardware discussion, as always.

There was some casual talk about measuring fractions of
microvolts, implying 10E-7 or -8 accuracy.

There are lots of possible thermoelectric effects that may be
in series with the source.

Without describing how it's done, what is the lower measuring
limit in nanovolts? That's the limit where the last digit
moves randomly by more than one increment. Does the method
involve cryogenics?

I'd look it up, but I expect some of you are more current
with the science than anything I could find with Google.

Given that extreme accuracy and stability are expensive, what
can an amateur do for less than, say, $500 or 400 Euros?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
Bill Hawkins