[time-nuts] And, for my next trick, 50Hz

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Oct 3 00:52:26 UTC 2008

> Call me crazy but I wonder if my accurate relative period of time
> could be derived from the 230VAC 50Hz mains supply over here. Now,
> before you yell at me, consider this, I have a couple of mains driven
> clocks in the house and only seem to need to change the time on them
> when we go from Standard Time to Daylight Saving Time. Agreed, the
> instantaneous frequency of the mains is not always spot on but the
> long term average seems to be kept pretty accurate or we would all
> have to keep changing our mains timed clocks. If I knew the standard
> deviation of the mains, I could probably calculate the period of time
> I'd have to gate my breadboard "frequency counter" to achieve a
> certain accuracy.
>
> 73, Steve

For standard (or Allan) deviation of mains frequencies, see:

<Accuracy and stability of the 50 Hz mains frequency>
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~ptdeboer/misc/mains.html

<60 Hz AC Mains Frequency Accuracy Measurement>
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/mains/

/tvb