[time-nuts] HP 5061B - Beam Current

Jeffrey Okamitsu w3kl at w3kl.com
Sun Oct 5 12:48:35 UTC 2008

I've spent a good deal of time this weekend working with the 5061B I recently acquired.

The unit appears to be making stable 10 MHz.  I've compared it the the Rubidium source I have and the two compare as expected.

There are two problems:

1) Beam current is low - even after going carefully through the alignment procedure outline in the service manual, the best I can get (Loop Open, Mod Off) is a bit over 10 nA.
2) The "Continuous Operation" LED will not come on after pressing Logic Reset.  I used the trouble shooting guide to diagnose the LED and it's pointing to the circuit on the A14 board.  This is as far as I have gotten so far. Note that the trouble shooting guide is suggesting that it might not be a problem with beam current, but an electronics problem (the LED driver).

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for reading.

Jeff

Jeffrey K. Okamitsu, PhD, MBA