[time-nuts] TBolt Monitor

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 22:19:44 UTC 2008

The clock displays are of two types. The analogue dials use alternate
negative and positive pulses
and are easily generated with a 0.5 Hz square wave signal. These
dials are either slaves from master clock systems or
a cheap quartz clock dial with leads to the driver coil. A totem pole
driver drives a capacitor that delivers
the appropriate impulse to the dial motor. This can be conveniently
generated by a PPS signal straight from the TBolt.
The other display is a series of decimal counters decoded to produce
a 60 X 60 X 24 display. This also can be driven
from the PPS from the TBolt.
The problem is setting either clock to UTC (or local time). A pulse
counting system can always either miss a pulse or
respond to a glitch to get the count out of sequence. A two phase
clocking system can reduce this problem but there
still remains the problem of start up and confidence checking.
The TBolt could just drive the displays directly, but loss of signal
or power drop-out requires a procedure to resynchronise
the indicators and it would be better to have the displays autonomous
in the absence of the GPS timing. I am thinking of a TCXO
to carry over the timing for long power failures, that can be done
with a milliwatt.
Leap seconds are another consideration, so what I think might be most
useful is a BCD seconds output from the monitor.
This could be jammed into the pulse counter to correct it and could
be decoded to give one minute pips like WWV to set
an analogue dial.
Just having a low power monitor indicating UTC is 99% of the required
solution.
All of this is the alternative to running a PC to support the TBolt
and so avoid the power demand and inconvenient size of the PC.
So what I want is a tiny black box to connect to the TBolt that would
indicate UTC. Constructing a micro project is no problem,
but the program development and installation is a sticking point.
cheers, Neville Michie