[time-nuts] Further Observation On My 5061B

wje wje at quackers.net
Mon Oct 6 21:47:23 UTC 2008

Just a nitpick - the reading on the meter isn't any particular scale,
it's essentially arbitrary.
The actual beam current is typically in the picoamp range. My measured
beam current is only about 400 pA.

I'm not sure what you would be seeing from induction; the beam current
is a result of current flow from the electron multiplier, which is
stimulated by electrons from the ionized cesium. There are no inductive
components, and in any case the frequency of the degaussing is so low
(0.2 Hz) that any inductive coupling would be extremely low.

My guess would be that you actually have an at-least marginally working
tube, but have a failure in your synthesizer, or in the microwave
generator. Have you done the harmonic generator alignment in the manual?
I don't remember if you said if you did the LF test, that's a good
diagnostic also. If you have a high impedance voltmeter, (100 megs), you
can directly measure the beam current following the procedure in the
manual. This will eliminate any problems in the amps and detector. Go to
open-loop, mod-off, monitor the current and very slowly adjust the
coarse 10Mhz. You should see variation at resonance peaks.

BTW, even when operating correctly, you have to be quite precise when
doing the coarse frequency adjustment; the peaks are very narrow and
easy to miss.

One final thing you can do is to go to open-loop, mod-on, amplifier gain
switch to high and crank the gain up as far as you can, but not to
exceed a second-harmonic reading of 40. Then, slowly adjust the 10Mhz
coarse control and see if the second-harmonic moves anywhere over the
control range. If you get a signal, back off on the gain and keep
tweaking the osc to maximize the second harmonic. If you can do this,
you are getting a beam signal, and if you can get a second-harmonic
reading of at least 30, you should be able to get lock, assuming your
synthesizer is working. It's also easy to end up on a secondary peak, in
which case you will get good readings but no lock. I always adjust past
the first peak I see to look for a secondary. If I don't find it, I know
I was on a secondary originally and scan back to maximize the beam
current. Again, there's not a huge difference between primary and
secondary peaks, so you have to pay attention.

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.