[time-nuts] Sound and time

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Oct 11 22:24:37 UTC 2008

Hi:

In the late 1950's early 1960's FM stereo did not yet exist.  The method used
was to use a receiver that could tune AM or FM but allowed receiving both at
the same time.  So a station in S.F., maybe K101 got frequency assignments so
that with one dial pointer position you were tuned to one of their stations on
FM and the other on AM.  Later they used the new FM stereo broadcast system

One of their "sounds" was an earthquake and I think it was the one with the
warning to not turn up the volume too high, because you may blow your speakers.
That may have been the source for "Earthquake Ethel's"?  James Gabbard
(spelling? was the host)

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell