[time-nuts] COMPLETELY off topic - but I know you'll read itanyway.

Don Johnson True-Cal at swbell.net
Sun Oct 12 00:04:58 UTC 2008

Jim,

Ahh audio, my first love and almost 50-years of experience. You already have replies with the right answers but here is my 2-cents..

>I've dug out the manual and even though the specifications say it can do 4
>ohms in bridged mode, there is another statement that says it doesn't
>recommend it.

The recommendation is due to current limiting in the amplifier. The amplifier output impedance is doubled from the typical 4-ohm per channel to 8-ohm when bridged. If you loaded the bridged output with 4-ohm (both 8-ohm speakers in parallel), it would require double the current through each output stage in addition to 2x the draw from the power supply. Current limiting, probably in the power supply, would result at a much lower peak voltage from each channel. The result is less power (earlier clipping/distortion) with this lower than design point load.

>"The A channel handles the positive voltage and the B channel becomes the
>negative, thus doubling the output voltage swing."

This is a very odd way to state what's happening in the bridged mode. You gatta love manuals written by the marketing department. Not totally wrong but only accurate during complex instances in time when the positive half of the output is indeed handled by ch-A and the negative by ch-B. In another instance however, this will be reversed. A more accurate description is what someone else has already stated as a push-pull arrangement of the out-of-phase driven channels. The bridge mode switch couples one of the input channels to both output stages but also inserts an additional op-amp stage (phase inverter) in only one of the channels. Now as the input signal goes positive, the "hot" terminal of ch-A will be driven positive while the "hot" terminal of ch-B will be driven negative equally. All this reverses as the input signal goes negative.

The clincher for you to NOT operate in bridge mode is that you have TWO speakers of the correct impedance to match each channel separately. Just drive both input channels with a Y adapter from your mono source and you will have the best arrangement. If there is ever a time that you want to only drive one of the 8-ohm speakers, now you would want to bridge the amp and connect the one speaker accordingly.

Regards...

Don