[time-nuts] Sulzer Labs D-5 oscillator

Mike Monett XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com
Sun Oct 12 00:32:51 UTC 2008

  "Steve Rooke" <sar10538 at gmail.com> wrote:

  >  Mike,

  >> I'm in  the  process of switching over to Ubuntu,  and  I already
  >> checked - Wine handles Pimmy.

  > Whilst Wine is a very useful utility, I would only use it if there
  > is an  absolute  need  to   run  a  Windows  application  whith no
  > equivalent. If  you  are switching to Linux, you  really  would be
  > advised look for equivalent applications to the Windows ones.

  I have been running Eagle pcb cad on Suse since 2001. I am extremely
  happy with  linux. But LTspice requires Wine, Pimmy will run  on it,
  and also  Hotkeyz.  This  will   tide   me  over  until  I  can find
  replacements, but LTspice will always need Wine.

  My friend  down  the hall keeps experimenting  with  different Linux
  distros and  tells me about his experiences, some good and  some not
  so good. For now, it looks like I will be running Suse and Ubuntu.

  >> Does linux have an email client that handles multiple accounts?

  > Well, the obvious one is Thunderbird which will do all  the things
  > that I  can see that Pimmy can do, given my albeit  brief overview
  > of this application from the parent website.

  I tried  Thunderbird some time ago, but I think I gave  up  since it
  would not  handle multiple accounts like Pimmy does.  That  may have
  changed.

  But the  message  there  is  to go to KasMail  and  get  a  bunch of
  disposable email addresses. Then kill any that pick up spam. But you
  need a  client  that  takes  care of  all  the  details  in handling
  multiple accounts,  or  you very quickly get in  a  lot  of trouble.
  Pimmy does that very well.

  I just  checked  - the last spam I got was a  phishing  email  for a
  London bank. It was last August 14, which is two months ago.

  One spam every two months is not so bad. I can handle that:)

  > Obviously, if  you  are  going  down  the  Ubuntu  path,  there is
  > Evolution which  I  think  will fit the bill for  you  and  is the
  > default email  client for the Gnome desktop  system.  Personally I
  > use a  KDE desktop which I consider is considerably  more powerful
  > than Gnome and, coincidently, is a much closer style of  a desktop
  > to the Windows experience. You can, of course, select KDE when you
  > install Ubuntu or go for a KDE orientated version called Kbuntu. I
  > know that  everyone  raves about Ubuntu but  I've  personally been
  > with SuSE  for many years, and now with OpenSUSE, and I find  it a
  > very polished  distribution.  It's   just   a  case  of  what your
  > preferences are.

  My preferences are stuff that works, doesn't crash and doesn't erase
  my files.  Once  you are inside a CAD program  or  writing  code, it
  really doesn't matter what system you are on as long as it works.

  [...]

  > The good thing about Linux is that you can still run an up to date
  > version with  good performance on quite mediocre hardware  and new
  > versions don't  generally  drop support  for  older  hardware. You
  > generally won't  have  to go out and buy a  new  printer, scanner,
  > graphics card, etc. when a new release comes out.

  > But, unless  your a UNIX man, it's going to be a a  steep learning
  > curve and  it's  all too easy to give up and throw it  in  the too
  > hard bin.  Just persevere and think the Linux  way.  Eventually it
  > will be like those comfortable old slippers and you will enjoy the
  > power and flexibility you have in your hands.

  I really  have no problems running Linux. I still write  most  of my
  programs in  DOS, so commandline switches are not an  issue.  I just
  include them  in  my programs so I don't have  to  remember  all the
  silly options, like all the stuff you can do with PKZip.

  So far,  I  just  haven't  had  the time  to  sit  down  and  do the
  conversion to  Linux.  But  now my lab is expanding,  and  I  can no
  longer get motherboards with drivers for Win98, so I have no choice.

  And that was my message for those still hoping XP will last forever.

  It won't. Bill will see to that:)

  >73
  >Steve

  >Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD