[time-nuts] problem with Efratom FRS-C from eBay

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 18 00:55:52 UTC 2008

Three things you can check are:

1.  How close to 10 MHz?  I bought an FRK-L a while back that wouldn't
lock.  I was able to watch the frequency sweep up and down as it tried
to find the Rb frequency.  The sweep takes about 40 sec. to complete a
cycle.  It turned out that the xtal had aged to the point that it wasn't
even getting up to the right frequency and the coarse tuning adjustment
didn't have enough range.  A quick change of the value of an internal
tuning capacitor fixed it right up.  You need to have about 8 or 9
digits on your counter to see the sweeping.

2.  What's happening to the crystal monitor voltage?  Similar to the
above, you should be able to see it rise and fall as the system tries to
find the Rb signal.

Normally, this kind of sweeping action means that the Rb signal is weak
or dead.  So.....

3.  What's the lamp monitor voltage?  The FRS-C should be >= 6V.  My
FRK-L is spec'ed at >= 7V.  Mine locks down to about 5.4V.

Ed