[time-nuts] OT- Tbolt eBay -- where in the world...

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Oct 20 02:50:30 UTC 2008

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Rex wrote:
>
>> I was looking at one of the Thunderbolt listings on eBay today:
>> 300260419007
>>
>> I noticed that there is a picture of a Tbolt Monitor screen with lat
>> and lon, so I put it in Google Earth. Seems to show the corner of the
>> building where the antenna is mounted, near Shanghai. Attached is a GE
>> placemark file. Just thought it was an interesting diversion.
>>
>> I don't see any parking lots. I wonder how everyone gets to work? Busses?
>>

> How about the Shanghai  Maglev?
>
> bruce

So I looked more. This site seems to be kind of on the outskirts of
Shanghai. There are some university locations near by.

The maglev track does run very close, but seems it only has two stops,
the near one over 2 miles away, the far end at the airport to the
southeast. The closest metro stop seems to be at Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park
which is a little over a mile away. Right next to the office park
hosting the GPS, there is a canal, but I doubt this would be an
efficient commuter route. The nearest big road is Luoshan Rd which may
have a bus line, and I assume there is probably some kind of commuter
connection from the Zhangjiang station.

As I was looking at Google Earth I saw a very large circular structure,
just across the road, looking in the satellite image like it was under
construction. I was sure it must be some kind of stadium, except it
seemed to have a lot of structure where I expected the field should be.
My first guess was something for the Olympics. Turns out it is a very
different kind of sport. It is the Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation
Facility, SSRF.    http://ssrf.sinap.ac.cn/english/   Just starting to
become functional now.