[time-nuts] Question on crystal jumps

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:19:32 UTC 2008

Hi Antonio,

precise pendulum clocks also suffer rate jumps, the process of rate
jumping
seems to be common to most time counting systems.

I have an LPRO rubidium oscillator. I mounted it on a heat sink with
fins
and placed it in an insulated box. A small (40mm) fan is switched to
control
the base-plate temperature at 40*C + or - 0.05*. As it warms up to
the control point
the oscillator control voltage changes by 1 volt, so the oscillator
control
voltage is very temperature sensitive. I do not think it will age
beyond its
control range.
I hope that the temperature control will improve the frequency accuracy
by a large ratio.

cheers, Neville Michie