[time-nuts] ?Death of TBolt?

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:43:54 UTC 2008

HI,
I had a TBOLT that developed communication problems and I assumed the
TBOLT
was at fault. Nothing seemed to make it give out PPS or 10MHz.
It turned out that my PC running VISTA had messed with the com port
allocations on
the serial to USB converter and although I thought that I had tried
everything I must
have missed the vital combination of checks and settings.
Ultimately I fired up an old PC running windoze 2000 with a serial
port as I
suspected the USB-serial converters of not working and I
managed to get a replacement TBOLT to run. When I plugged the 1st TBOLT
into the same set up it ran TBOLTMON OK and has never looked back.
Once I knew the problem was in the COM port emulation I soon got it
right
and finally got the laptop to run TBOLTMON through USB-serial
converters.
There seem to be several levels of settings needed in VISTA to get a
COM port
to work through the USB-serial converter.

I tried two different brands of USB-serial converters on my laptop
and both work perfectly well.
I hope this may help you,
Neville Michie