[time-nuts] Exceptions...

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 27 02:36:11 UTC 2008

In message: <4904A7DA.4000809 at rubidium.dyndns.org>
            Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> writes:
: Lux, James P wrote:
: >
: > On 10/26/08 9:45 AM, "Burt I. Weiner" <biwa at att.net> wrote:
: >
: >> Except for the flat or pointy places.
: >>
: >> Burt, K6OQK
: >>
: >> At 05:00 AM 10/26/2008, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
: >>> At 10:44 PM 10/25/2008, Gretchen Baxter wrote...
: >>>> I went to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
: >>>>
: >>>> I saw that it was 10:35 in New York but in Adelaide it was 1:05 PM and
: >>>> in
: >>>> New Delhi 8:05.
: >>>>
: >>>> How can that be?
: >>> The world is round.
: > In the context of time-nuts, where we denigrate mere 1 ppm accuracy and talk
: > about parts in 1E12 and more.. The Earth, being ellipsoidal by about a part
: > in 300, is hardly "round".
:
: OK... it's a fairly ellipsoid object... and not flat.

And the 1/2 time zones have nothing to do with the shape of the earth
in fine detail, but rather the fact that it is somewhat ball-like in a
gross, part in 10 sort of way :-)[*]

Warner