[time-nuts] Driving clocks from 1pps

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Fri Sep 5 08:16:17 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Didier Juges
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:24 PM
To: 'Tom Van Baak'; 'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Driving clocks from 1pps

> Ah, I see now. It's a 0.5 Hz square wave. Cool. Yes, that looks like
> it might work. Has someone tried this on a quartz clock stepper motor
> to make sure you reliably get sufficient impulse?
> I wonder why no commercial clocks use this trick.
>
> /tvb

The capacitor gets too large for a commercial watch or clock, silicon is
cheaper.

Didier KO4BB

Besides, the power consumption is probably lower with a well defined pulse
than with the capacitor, and it's easier to keep a tight tolerance on a
pulse width than on the value of a large electrolytic capacitor.

Didier