[time-nuts] Ancient OCXO in scope calibrator.

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Sep 8 15:53:22 EDT 2008

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Dave:
>
> Do you have a photo?
>
> It's been my experience that older electronic equipment fails because of poor
> connections rather than bad components.  For many examples see:
> http://www.prc68.com/I/HaT.shtml
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Brooke Clarke

Brook,

A little off topic from the original thread, but on your referenced
page, in the "Dead CRT Computer Monitor" section, the blown device is
probably a TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor). My first thought was that
it was a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) but the symbol was different. With a
bit of Google, I found this page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=4SkqFozu80MC&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=schematic+symbol+MOV&source=web&ots=VydlPTFGNA&sig=A8fKQfYQ3Agb0OU8iEMwM9Zhdsc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA122,M1

(Wow! What a URL. Good chance it will wrap in the email. If you can't
copy that, it is page 122 in the google online book "Embedded Systems
Design Using the Rabbit 3000 Microprocessor". Seems like a pretty good
description of voltage suppressors if you scroll back and forth a few
pages.)

So I just thought I'd try to help with the device, as your page still
has it as an open question. Still unknown is the voltage rating and what
caused it to blow. Since you mention it was on the AC mains, there is a
good chance it was just doing what it was supposed to do, and the
voltage should be something a bit greater than the AC input voltage.

-Rex