[time-nuts] Temp control of LPRO

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:43:21 EDT 2008

Hi Bill,
the lamp and detector of the LPRO are both thermostat controlled.
At higher case temperature the power to heat them decreases as do the
temperature gradients in the device. From 17watts at 32V supply at 0*C
it can be reduced to 7.5 watts at 18 v supply and 45*C.
Although spec'ed to 70*C there is a MTBF penalty for higher
temperature operation.
If your shack never gets over 40*C it is possible to control the LPRO
to 45*C
by controlling its self heating with a tiny fan.
I built the LPRO into a thick walled aluminium box which is insulated
with foam plastic,
through the box is a duct with fins that the tiny fan blows through
and by switching the fan I get
control much better than 0.1*C.
I am looking forward to measuring its performance in frequency
stability.
cheers, Neville Michie