[time-nuts] signal from DirecTV

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 13:51:49 EDT 2008

Hello Andrew,

unfortunately I am not sure what you mean by Sat signal/code  frequency.

The local STB PLL generated 27MHz on the video signal will be derived from,
and locked to the PCR time stamp inside the MPEG stream of the  broadcaster.

The broadcaster will likely use an in-house frequency standard to generate
this, but it is entirely up to them what they are using. My comment was that
this signal was not very stable from what I have seen.

If you are interested in the RF frequency of the Sat signal, things get  very
complicated because the Sat signal is mixed with an LO at the LNB, and so
not knowing the LO offset error inside the LNB you would have to hack into  the
LNB to get the RF frequency of the Sat. This is not as simple as using a
27MHz bandpass: even the IF is in the 800MHz to 2GHz range, and the RF is
somewhere above 30GHz I think.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/22/2008 09:50:01 Pacific Daylight Time,  novick at nist.gov