[time-nuts] signal from DirecTV

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 23 11:25:13 EDT 2008

There are two flavors of LNBs, those that are locked to a reference and those that aren't. The locked ones are used for narrow band signals (e.g. SCPC, for instance)
For typical Ku band DBS, the RF frequency is in the 11-13 GHz range, with the LO being above or below that (whether the mfr want's high or low side injection).

For instance, Norsat makes a whole lot of LNBs that are PLL locked, A typical Ku LNB (1000H) has typical LO stability of 5-25 kHz (over temp). Phase noise is -75dBc/Hz @ 1 kHz, dropping 10dB/decade.  They use low side injection, so the LO is at 10-11 GHz.

Here's one with an external reference connection:
http://www.invacom.com/documents/PLLLNB.pdf which appears to take a 10 MHz input.

Note well you'll see folks talking about DRO LNBs and PLL LNBs.  In reality, they both probably use a DRO as the oscillator, but in the PLL ones, it's locked to the external reference.

Unlocked DROs are probably good to a couple MHz over temperature, and the typical DBS receiver can accommodate that much uncertainty in tuning (i.e. the signal is 25+ MHz wide, anyway)

I would imagine that one could calibrate an unlocked DRO in real time.  You could inject a 100 MHz comb or something from a quiet oscillator and then look for it in the output of the LNB.

Typical PLL LNBs run about $200-400, new. Regular old unlocked ones are in the $20-30 range.