[time-nuts] Degaussing Unit For An HP5061B

wje wje at quackers.net
Thu Sep 25 06:59:27 EDT 2008

I've been looking for one for ages. They're out there, but at outrageous
prices.
ManualsPlus sells a very nice reprint manual with schematics.

If you're patient, I just started building a replacement using most of
the original circuitry. I'd be happy to make board files available, or a
board at cost. It might be a few months, though; things are very busy at
my real job.

The degausser is quite simple. High degauss provides ~330 ma, low about
~17 ma initially, with an exponential decay. The decay constant is 100
secs. There's a 20 minute timer that terminates the cycle. There's a
DPDT relay which switches the current direction through the coil that
toggles every 2.5 seconds. (Cheap H bridge).

That's it.

I'm replicating most of the analog current source circuity, but
replacing the analog 2.5 sec and 20 minute timers with a uP.

I'd also be happy to send you a copy of the schematic. If you want it,
send me your snail mail info. I'd recommend the manual, though. It's
very nicely done and costs $25.

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.