[time-nuts] homebrew 13 dBm distribution amplifier based on NIST design 5 to 100 MHz

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Sep 25 18:35:59 EDT 2008

Tom Clark, K3IO wrote:
>    Gerhard -- the discussion between you and Bruce has been very
>    interesting. I asked a VLBI colleague to look over your design and he
>    had this comment.
>    In VLBI,  H-Maser frequency standards used to generate local
>    oscillators at microwave frequencies. We have problems with amplitude
>    modulation being converted to phase modulation when hum is present.  I
>    notice that Bruce also uses transformers. Comments from both of you
>    will be eagerly awaited!
>
>          Thanks Tom. I notice the Gerhard Hoffmann circuit has a
>      transformer on the outputs. Wenzell also uses transformers and we
>      have found them to be a problem if there is any stray AC mag. field
>      around. We have added some magnetic shielding to the UpDown
>      converters to reduce the 60/120 Hz modulation which results if the
>      UpDown is close to a another piece of electronics with a AC fan or
>      AC transformer. I don't think 60/120 Hz is a problem for VLBI2010
>      but it can be a problem for mmvlbi.
>
>    To help to decipher some of our "code words":
>      *  the UpDown Converter is a wideband frequency converter that takes
>        an arbitrary chunk of 1-20 GHz RF and mixes it to a more convenient
>        & standardized frequency to feed a polyphase filter bank.
>      *  VLBI2010 is design prototype effort we are doing that will use
>        (relatively) small antennas operating over the entire ~2-15 GHz
>        spectrum to produce geodetic measurements accurate to mm-levels on
>        global baselines (up to ~10,000 km).
>      *  mmvlbi refers to VLBI at mm wavelengths (like 100-500 GHz) for
>        astronomical measurements. Most recently, the mm observations of
>        the size/structure of  radiation from the area around the black
>        hole in the center of our galaxy are really exciting.
>
>    Regards, Tom

Tom

Another technique is to null the AC magnetic field at the transformer
using a set of coils and a servo loop.
However this isnt always a particularly practical/inexpensive/simple
solution.

The AC field modulates the transformer inductances and hence the phase
shift.
Thus in the absence of shielding or field nulling a transformer with a
ferromagnetic core will suffer from this problem.
Ferrite core chokes will also suffer from inductance modulation by the
AC magnetic field.

One is either left with using RC coupling which makes it difficult to
achieve power gain from a CB stage and the dc load resistors can
contribute significant close in phase noise.
One may need to resort to using an emitter follower to drive the load.
The key factor in keeping the close in phase noise down at low offset
frequencies is to keep the dc gain from input to output low.
Where input means not just the actual RF input but includes any active
bias regulation circuits.
It is relatively easy to ensure that the dc gain and low frequency from
the input transistor base to the output transistor collector load
resistor is relatively low by using a large value resistor (capacitively
bypassed for RF) connected in series between the input emitter follower
and the first common base stage. With such a resistor one can dispense
with the bias regulator transistor and use a divider tap  buffered by a
low frequency emitter follower if necessary to determine the dc base
voltage of the input transistor. The drawback with such an approach is
the increased power supply voltage and the dissipation in the bias and
load resistors. With a 200 ohm collector load resistor and 45mA
collector current there will be a 9V dc voltage drop across it (its will
also dissipate about 400mW).

If the isolation amplifier dc collector current were increased to
80-90mA or so (may require paralleling the outputs of 2 amplifiers) then
it can easily drive 1V rms into a 25 ohm load.
This would allow a capacitively coupled 50 ohm load to be driven whilst
ensuring the output stage reflection coefficient is relatively low.
Since the collector current regulation circuit ensures that the output
current that the dc gain from any of the amplifier transistor bases to
the output transistor collector is low, it is well worth retaining the
bias regulation transistor. However the dc and low frequency gain from
the bias regulation transistor base to the outpout transistor collector
load will be about 1X. This can be reduced by increasing the bias
current regulator circuit effective reference voltage (about 1V if a RED
LED is used). Using a light shield or encapsulating the led in opaque
epoxy is probably a worthwhile precaution to avoid photocurrents and
consequent incidental phase modulation at twice the mains frequency and
its harmonics.

Alternatively narrowband techniques (tuned circuits with air core
inductors) could be used however the resultant phase shift tempcos may
be unacceptable.

Transformers aren't entirely ruled out as one could use an air cored
Guanella balun transformer to couple the output CB transistor collector
to the load.
The bandwidth of such a transformer is significantly less than a
transformer with a ferrite or other ferromagnetic core but may be
acceptable for a frequency distribution amplifier.
Such transformers tend to be bulky and are thus more practical at 100MHz
than 5MHz or 10MHz.

Bruce