[time-nuts] P word in my mails

brooke at pacific.net brooke at pacific.net
Thu Apr 2 14:46:21 UTC 2009

Hi Steve:

I came across this Programmer's Language Guide on Prof Kelly's web page
related to his 68000 assembler software at:
http://www.monroeccc.edu/ckelly/default.htm
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
PROGRAMMERS LANGUAGE REFERENCE GUIDE

You shoot yourself in the foot.

C++
You shoot yourself in the foot and then accidentally delete the pointer
that points to it. Your foot is now in the garbage and there is no way to
retrieve it.

Java
It looks like your gun but some things are missing and others are in the
wrong place. While trying to figure out how to use it you accidentally
shoot yourself in the groin.

Modula-2
After realizing that you can't actually accomplish anything in the
language, you shoot yourself in the head.

Pascal
Same as Modula-2, except that the bullets are the wrong type and won't
pass through the barrel. The gun explodes.

FORTRAN
You shoot yourself in each toe, iteratively, until you run out of toes,
then you read in the next foot and repeat. If you run out of bullets, you
continue anyway because you have no exception-processing ability.

ALGOL
You shoot yourself in the foot with a musket. The musket is aesthetically
fascinating, and the wound baffles the adolescent medic in the emergency
room.

COBOL
You describe the gun, the foot, and the process of shooting the foot with
the gun in great detail. You then shoot yourself in the head.

APL
You hear a bang, your foot hurts, but you don't know enough linear algebra
to figure out what happened.

LISP
You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which you
shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which you shoot
yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which ....

FORTH
Foot in yourself shoot.

ASSEMBLY
You shoot yourself in the foot with a machine gun. You attempt to slow
down the fire rate but are unable to understand the program because there
are no comments.

XBASE
Shooting yourself is no problem. If you want to shoot yourself in the
foot, you have to use Clipper.

BASIC
Shoot yourself in the foot with a water-pistol. On big systems, continue
until entire lower body is waterlogged.

VISUAL BASIC
You spend days designing the perfect user interface and then shoot
yourself in the foot. Everyone is so impressed with the user interface you
created they all use your program and shoot themselves in the foot.

HTML

SQL
You cut off your foot, send it to the service bureau and when it returns
it has a hole in it, but no longer fits the end of your leg

Dbase
You pull the trigger, but the bullet moves so slowly that by the time it
reaches your foot, you've forgotten why you shot yourself in the first
place

Python
You shoot yourself in every other toe in order to create more whitespace
and then show your foot to all your friends while bragging about how much
better Python is than every other programming language.

Perl
You shoot yourself in the foot 12 different ways.