[time-nuts] Characterising frequency standards

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Fri Apr 10 09:21:11 UTC 2009

Steve,

> I think the penny has dropped now, thanks. It's interesting
> that the ADEV calculation still works even without continuous
> data as all the reading I have done has led me to belive this
> was sacrosanct.

The penny may be falling but it is not completely dropped: Of course you can
feed your ADEV calculation with every second sample removed and setting Tau0
= 2. And of course you receive a result that now is in "harmony" with your
all samples / Tau0 = 1 s computation. Had you done frequency measurements
the reason for this appearant "harmony" is that your counter does not show
significant different behaviour whether set to 1 s gate time or alternate 2
second gate time.

Nevertheless leaving every second sample out is NOT exactly the same as
continous data with Tau0 = 2 s. Instead it is data with Tau0 = 1 s and a
DEAD TIME of 1s. There are dead time correction schemes available in the
literature.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert