[time-nuts] Spring cleaning and antenna placement

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Apr 15 06:01:39 UTC 2009

In message <49E57132.3000601 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>bg at lysator.liu.se skrev:
>>> If you are in Scandinavia, the GPS birds will not spend much time (if
>>> any?) to the north of you. Slide 12 of
>>> http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais/teaching/geodesy/Satellite_orbits.pdf
>>> suggests that the most northerly orbital point is at the latitude of
>>> Denmark.
>
>> With a decent antenna siting you see plenty of SVs to the north.

Just to clarify: At my latitude in Denmark, we just barely see the
sats from the other siden skim over the horizon, nowhere nearly
high enough to clear the mask angle.

Once you get just a little bit further north, like Magnus is, the
sats do clear the mask angle and contribute gainfully to the solution.

I have heard rumours, but not seen it confirmed, that Northern
Norway and Greenland has some of the most amazing DOP's seen anywhere
on the planet because all their sats are around them, rather than
overhead.

Poul-Henning