[time-nuts] RF mixers for oscillator characterization, some questions

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Apr 18 20:51:50 UTC 2009

Arnold

Arnold Tibus wrote:
> Bruce, Magnus, Pete,
>
> sorry for being late responding, but the Easter Holydays ...
> they are over now :(
>
> Thank you for the informations giving me some more ideas!
>
> I am still wondering about the specials of these mixers.
> What are their secrets, what the differences to "normal" or high level DBMs?
> Is high level a criteria?

The dc offset at the mixer IF output (a measure of the diode matching
and transformer balance) should be low as should its drift.
The real criterion is low mixer phase noise particularly at low offset
frequencies.
The 10514 and 10534 are reputed to have low flicker phase noise.

Using a high level mixer as suggested by NIST does have the advantage of
allowing a preamp with higher input noise to be used to amplify the low
pass filtered IF port output.
> There are some companies selling the 10514A with SMB connectors.
> I have no idea what is a good or reasonable price fore and if I am running
> into possible risks to get deaf ones, for totally around $ 100,- ?

That price appears significantly higher than the Minicircuits price:
http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZP-10514.pdf
However there is no guarantee that the modern 10514's use discrete
diodes or what their flicker phase noise characteristics are.

A mixer which has a common IF, LO and RF grounds is susceptible to low
frequency ground loop noise.
However you can use RF transformers at the RF and LOP ports to break the
ground loops.
> In may 2007 there was aleady a short discours about the 10514A.
> Rick mentioned that today it could be possible to build a considerably better
> design with currently available technology.
>
> Does it mean it is really possible to build a DBM with currently available
> diodes, transformer cores etc. with similar or better characteristics
> as the old known commercial types? Or did he think to special chip
> designs?
> Are there no real merits anymore with the famous old hp 10514A?

They were widely used for such measurements and their phase noise was
well characterised.
You can achieve better diode matching with monolithic diode quads,
however the flicker noise of such quads is reputed to be higher than
equivalent discrete diode quads.