[time-nuts] RF Mixers for oscillator comparison

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 07:49:22 UTC 2009

df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de writes:

Minicircuits have a BROAD range of mixers. Among other they built the
RAY-3,
a 23 dBm high level mixer, that I have seen used in  oscillator
characterization publications. My understanding about the  benefits of high
level mixers for that purpose is that it allows you to  work with higher RF
levels which in turn leads to a higher IF level which  in turn may lead to a
better overall s/n of the system.

---------------
An Ebay seller is offering some Stellex high level mixers, Item #
260382178618.
I don't know if these would be of any interest in this  application but
perhaps worth taking a look.
I bought a couple a while ago to try out in a radio front  end but haven't
had time to play with them yet.
There's also a couple of links there to WJ and Minicircuits app notes on
mixer usage and measurements.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR