[time-nuts] Method for comparing oscillators

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 16:18:45 UTC 2009

John

If you want quick answers to Frequency differences,
You should think and measure Phase change differences Not Freq differences.
Example: 1e-12 freq offset causes a 1ns shift every 1000 seconds,
NO matter what the Frequencies are that you are comparing.

Any decent standard analog scope can see Sub 1 ns differences
on its fastest sweep with its time base multiplier on when viewing high speed signals.

By using a dual trace scope and syncing the scope to one of the 10 MHz signals
and watching the two signal's zero crossing drift apart on the Scope it takes no more
than 1000 seconds and more like a minute or so to be able see 1e-12 freq differences.

In a hour you can see 1e-13 or better easy, assuming of course that the signal's short term jitter
is not more than a few tens of ns and the scope has warmed up long enough to stabilize.
The same method works even if the two freq are not the same, such as  2 to1 or 4 to5.

The same method (i.e Phase change) can be used with most any counter also,
and is best when comparing low freq like 1 to 1 KHz. which are hard to see on a analog scope.
The cheap counters have less resolution than 1 ns so you need to do time interval averaging
if the counter has that and/or just let it run longer between your readings.
Example:
Start counter Time interval count on one signal, stop it on the other signal,
record what the difference is (and the uncertainty is), come back
in a minute, an hour or day or week and see what the time difference now is,
Calculate the time difference between the two reading in ns and
the time laps between the two reading in seconds or hours.

Freq difference between the signals is equal to [1e-9 * (ns_change / Sec) ]
so that  10 ns_change  / sec = 1e-8,  1ns_change  / 10 sec = 1e-10
Using hours instead of seconds this works out to
[1e-10 * ((ns_change /Hrs)  / 360ns) ]
so that 3.6 ns / hr = 1e-12

BTW,  Phase change per unit time is the same way frequency error is calculated using WWVB, the low freq 60Khz signal.

warren